Welcome to the Year 4 page!
We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you and your child to a new year at St Clare’s. We are looking forward to the year ahead and all the amazing work that will be produced.
Below is a list of information on the weekly routines for the each class:
- P.E – 4RW Outdoor P.E will be on a Tuesday, 4S Indoor P.E will be on Tuesday. Outdoor P.E will be on a Friday.
- 4RW will be going swimming on a Thursday morning.
- Homework will be handed out on a Friday to be completed by the following Wednesday.
- Spellings will be handed out Friday to be learnt before a test the following Friday.
- Children should read their reading books every night and bring their records in signed the following day.
- During the Summer term children will sit a times table assessment, this will assess their knowledge of the 1-12 times tables. To help prepare for this the following link would be a great tool for your children to practice throughout this year. https://mathsframe.co.uk/en/resources/resource/477/Multiplication-Tables-Check
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact us.
Mr R Willis
Miss R Sabor
Here is a PowerPoint about the Multiplication Times tables check:
There is also more information about this on: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/multiplication-tables-check
Year 4 Spring 1 curriculum overview
Year 4 Autumn 1 overview
Year 4 yearly overview
Check out our videos on the four operations
Autumn term in year 4
As Scientist we learnt about the digestive system we started off by learning about the first stage of the digestive system the teeth. Children made amazing clay models of their own teeth which you can see below.
While looking at the topic on teeth we conducted an experiment to see what would happen to teeth if they were left in different liquids, we used eggs and placed them in containers of different liquids and left them for around a week to see what would happen to the eggs. The children enjoyed revealing the eggs to see what had happened but the smell from the milk was definitely an experience!
During the digestive system topic we also looked the whole process of the digestive system before moving onto foods chains and grouping animals by their diets.
Throughout the autumn term Year 4 have written numerous different genres of writing such as narratives, newspapers, diary entries and non-chronological reports which you can see some examples below.
During autumn in maths we explored the four operations in maths addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Children learnt how to solve word problems using each of these and discovered new areas of maths such as multiplying and dividing by 10 and 100. Children also enjoyed revisiting rounding to the nearest 10 and 100, with many moving onto round to a 1000 with 4 digit numbers!
As historians during the autumn term we went back to Anglo Saxon Britain, we looked at who the Anglo – Saxons were and why they came to Britain. Once they had settled in Britain we looked at what life was like for the Anglo Saxon’s, how Britain was separated into different tribes and even had a go at painting pieces of cloth like an Anglo Saxon.
To finish the topic we investigated the mystery at Sutton Hoo and tried to work out who we thought was buried at the site. Children also enjoyed getting the chance to try on a model of the Sutton Hoo Helmet.