History at St Clare’s
At St Clare’s, children are immersed into the past and the events that have shaped the world as we know it today. We aim to develop a culture of enquiry in the school where children are able to ask questions and discover for themselves what history means to them. Children throughout their academic journey are provided with the opportunity to explore a vast range of different time periods across British history and other ancient civilisations. Children will learn and develop:
- What is history? The first step in any journey into the past is an understanding of what we mean by history.
- To become familiar with new historical terminology such as civilisation, empire and AD and BC.
- Understand the importance of chronology and where different topics of history fit together.
- Compare different time periods against one another finding similarities and differences.
- Study famous individuals that have had a long lasting effect on history and are still celebrated to this day.
- Historical research skills, with children conducting their own enquires.
- Engage in historical debates with one another putting forward their own historical arguments and suggestions.
- Hands on – analysing a range of artefacts from different time periods to gain a secure understanding of what life was like in the past.
Useful website links